Ever heard the Snow White fairy tale and gone, “Wish I had a mirror that would tell me stuff.” Well one guy decided to make his own.
The base version he designed is simply a monitor with a mostly black background behind a double sided mirror so it can display simple things like the time, weather and an uplifting message. 🙂 It’s still incredibly cool and actually not too hard to put together if you’re comfortable with woodworking and electronics. The guy, Dylan Pierce, has a step by step guide online so you can make your own including the source code you’ll need to program your magic mirror with! If you still feel overwhelmed during the process he also setup a handy forum where you can ask more knowledgeable people about the process for help. 🙂 One post is even entitled a step by step for dummies for can’t make it work. Maybe not the nicest but as someone who only knows a bit about code, that’s the type of stuff I know I’d need, lol.
Here’s your base shopping list if you want to know the commitment/cost of the project:
- A monitor
- A double sided acryllic mirror fit to the size of the monitor
- A few 2 x 4’s to build a case around the monitor
- Thin wood to build the forward facing mirror frame
- A raspberry pi and it’s needed components, i.e. the power supply, HDMI cord, wifi usb dongle, and a keyboard for initial setup
- Basic woodworking tools like a saw, sander, screwdriver
- Screws, liquid nails
Hoping I can get my husband to work with me on this one as I can see it being a fun joint project. 😀